Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Special Season



Today, I performed the sad ritual of taking down the red Ohio State banner hanging in my porch as the last Buckeye basketball team made its exit from the NCAA tournament. I was hoping this year I would be waiting for the men’s team to finish their season but, once again, the Lady Bucks outlasted them, albeit, by less than a day. Its been a special season. The men’s team had an incredible year up to their premature ejection in the Sweet 16 round. It has been so much fun to be able to watch the team of my allegiance and alma mater establish themselves over the entire season as the best team in college basketball that just happened not to do so great in the tournament. This year, thanks to friends, I had a chance to see them play at the Schot five times, allowing me to do my yelling and screaming with thousands of fellow fans. But for the rest of the games, instead of watching it at a friend’s place or being comfortably ensconced on the couch at home with the cats...until they scurry off in fear of my sudden outbursts...I took the opportunity to travel out to my parent’s home in Whitehall to watch the games with Dad.

Actually, I began watching OSU football with Dad when he was hospitalized last fall. After he came home, I continued to watch all the games with him as the sports season changed to basketball. His illness made me realize that I didn’t have much time left to spend with him and the games were the perfect passive activity for us to share. Dad can’t do much more than sit and watch TV these days. Fortunately, he loves the Buckeyes almost as much as I do so we had plenty to talk about. There aren’t many other subjects of conversation to get into with Dad so I’m very thankful we have OSU sports to share. I could tell he enjoyed my company and attention. I felt like his little boy again when he would ask me to sit close to him on the couch while we watched. I chattered a lot and he listened, acknowledging me with his wry smile, a funny face or an occasional whispered comment. He would sit or lie there in his pajamas and I would lightly poke a frail arm, grab a skinny leg or slap a hesitantly offered hand to celebrate a good play. He would ask “Who did that?” and I’d tell him. I never felt more comfortable with him. never more like his friend.

I’ll rehang the OSU banner the week of the next OSU football game. I don’t know whether we will have another one to share but I’ll always have this special season with Dad to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment