Saturday, March 5, 2011

Remembering Ronald Koal & the Trillionaires

I was proud to call myself a hard-core groupie of Ronald Koal and the Trillionaires. My love was not for Ronald personally but for the art and performance of Ronald and his collaborators. They wrote great songs, songs that should have been shared with the World, songs that could have become staples of classic rock radio formats and part of our cultural consciousness. They were as good as anything anyone anywhere was writing and performing in the early 80s. There were strong, memorable melodies and lyrics and the music was fresh and innovative with rhythms that were extremely danceable.The musicians backing Ronald and helping him write were very talented and they just kept getting better as they worked with each other. Even today, echoes of the Trillionaires reverberate in Columbus. My favorite local band, The Randys, features the incomparable guitarist, Matt Newman, and drummer Jimmy Castoe has been omnipresent in the Columbus jazz and rock scene for 30 years. I even remember being pleasantly surprised when Ronald came back after the Trillionaires with some really excellent bands that included Todd Novack and Ed Shuttlesworth playing some great new material.

Ronald’s appearance on the music scene happily coincided with a turning point in my life. I got divorced and graduated from law school in 1980. I had been hanging out with the same Eastside crowd of musicians and friends since high school and I was ready to move on to a new life. I don’t remember how I found Ronald Koal and the Trillionaires but once I did, I was hooked. I discovered a whole new world in Columbus’ music underground. My current family tree of social relationships begins with the people I began meeting around the music of Ronald Koal and the Trillionaires. The dozens of performances that I was lucky enough to witness were the graduate level of my continuing education in rock and roll that began with my garage bands and involvement with the Dave Workman Blues Band.

Those years of going out to hear the Trillionaires were, for me, joyous, golden days of a great girlfriend, great sex, great drugs (714 sopors) and great rock and roll. There was a small group of us who danced to every song, all night long. We knew most of the lyrics which we would sing at the top of our lungs and interpret, as if for the hearing impaired, with practiced hand and arm movements and facial expressions. I experienced so much happiness listening to Ronald Koal and the Trillionaires and I am so thankful to them. I will certainly never forget them and I’m glad to see that others are trying to perpetuate the memory of this high point in the history of the Columbus music scene.

I knew that Ronald was the stereotypical tragic genius bent on self-destruction. My best friend from my old crowd had the same problem. I never got close to Ronald but he knew how much I appreciated him and I knew that down deep underneath the cool rock star image he was a warm and gentle human being. Towards the end when he experienced some legal difficulties, he called on my expertise to help him out. It was pretty simple, I didn’t do much but he appreciated it enough to make me a laminated card that I have carried in my wallet ever since. Yes, it is sad that Ronald ended his life and who knows what he might have accomplished if he had survived the difficult turns of fate that came his way. Who knows what happiness he may have been able to find for himself. He may not have known what he was he was doing when he pulled that trigger under the influence of those little yellow pills but I suspect that maybe he knew that he had created something truly wonderful and beautiful during his life but that maybe he believed he never would again. I’m going to respect his decision to not live in a world where he might finally be arriving at Destination Zero. Hopefully, the rest of us can keep alive the memory that he once was Living For Something.


5 comments:

  1. I Love that card Ronald gave you! I of course knew Ronald well, and there was a country boy under the rock star shell. I miss him greatly and I'm happy to see he's being remembered 18 years after his unfortunate departure. My days musically and socially with Ronald & The Trillionaires are treasured.
    Mark, I will always remember your love, support of the music scene, and your inspired dancing-smiling face. Love to you, Todd Novak

    ReplyDelete
  2. stumbling across your blog from a google search.. I have a RK song called I Will Survive that I recorded live in the studio while I was attending the Recording Workshop in Chillcothe, in january 1990. they were part of my advanced course learning.. I had to do a session from top to bottom by myself.. fix any problems.. make the client happy.. you get the drill.. They were a pleasure to work with and listening today I think it's a great song.. I found it cleaning out old DAT tapes for the dumpster.. dutifully recorded over to the computer for posterity.. Do you know of anyone that would want a copy? I can send to anyone in any format they wish.. drop me an email at michael AT paulthorn.com.. always a musician I guess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was proud to have him as a friend. I miss our regular phone calls about art, music and culture. I was sad and angry when he made the choice to exit way too soon and in such a tragic way. Thank you though for bringing up all the great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am still thinking of him today, will never forget our gig w the Stray Cats at Grand Circus in Detroit 1983. Or the time coming back from City Club and rolling the van on 23 just north of Delaware. Equipment flew all over the cornfield poor Todd Novac took a trip out the windshield me and Dave Warren running to a farm for a phone to use, yes, no cell phones yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attended the Recording Workshop in 1982, one of my projects while there was to mix a song by RK and the Trillionairs called In Every Life A Little Rain Must Fall, I still have the reel to reel recording of that session. Great band

    ReplyDelete